My place of solitude has got to be the kitchen. I simply love to cook up a storm by trying out new recipes. Whether it’s baking or cooking – both are quite exciting and deliver scrumptious results for all to enjoy. There’s no greater gratification than the smiles of your loved ones after enjoying a meal that you’ve spend hours on preparing.
Of late, I’ve been trying to cut down on sugar and carbs (sometimes with great success and sometimes not so much…) and have noticed a considerable amount of changes in my body when successfully doing so in a consecutive amount of time. Les digestive issues, more energy, better skin tone – all of which indicates that living low-carb is a lifestyle that my body thrives on. This has lead to me experimenting a bit, going out of my comfort zone, when preparing meals for myself and my family. Whilst they may not appreciate the fact that this excludes a vast amount of their favourite snacks and side dishes (chips, chocolates, sweets etc.) and increased the amount of their not-so-favourites (fruit, vegetables, seeds etc.) at least I can say that I’m trying to keep them as healthy as possible. 🙂
So, getting back to the dish displayed in this image. This was purely an “it’s too hot to cook and I don’t feel like slaving in front of the stove” kind of a recipe. I’ve recently discovered the deliciousness that is Pesto Princess – a range of mouthwatering pestos and pastes. Needless to say that of late, I’ve been making recipes that use pesto as an excuse to enjoy the yummy products from their range. I think its safe to say that they’ve turned me into one of their #loyalroyal followers as I simply can’t get enough of the stuff and would probably take it in the bucket loads if I could – haha!
This recipe uses their Basil & Lemon Pesto – a diary-free alternative to their plain Basil Pesto and a great option if you’re a vegan (not that this recipe of mine is exactly vegan-friendly as it contains feta, but I think if you remove this item from the ingredients it should suffice?)
I shared this recipe image on Instagram yesterday and it got some pretty good feedback that I decided to share the recipe itself! Try it out for yourself and let me know what you think?
Low-Carb Baby marrow, Mushrooms, Avo & Feta Bowl with Pesto Princess’ Basil & Lemon Pesto
- 1 bag of Pick n Pay baby marrow spaghetti infused with lemon & herb butter
- 1/2 a punnet of white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium sized avocado
- 1/2 a wheel of plain feta
- 2 tbsps of Pesto Princess Basil & Lemon Pesto
- 1 tbsp cold-pressed olive oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Cut 1cm into the corner of the baby marrow spaghetti bag and microwave it on high for 5 minutes. Let it stand for 1 minute.
- In a pan, heat up the olive oil, add the mushrooms. Once cooked, remove from the heat.
- In a large pasta bowl, combine the cooked baby marrow spaghetti and mushrooms.
- Dice the avocado into 2cm x 2cm squares. Add to the baby marrow and mushrooms.
- Crumble the feta into the mixture and add the pesto.
- Season to taste and combine all the ingredients without mushing the avocado or breaking baby marrow spaghetti.
- Serve and enjoy!
Note: The feta could also be replaced by another cheese like parmesan / pecorino.
If you liked this post, be sure to comment in the section below.